Thursday, August 5, 2010

“Amen” is the same in every language.

27 June 2010


Today was our one and only “rest day” so I slept in until 9am (THREE HOURS OF SLEEPING IN!) and went to a local Maasai Presbyterian Church with some of my classmates, Nickson and Charles. I didn’t understand 99% of what was said but I did understand the love for Jesus that was filling that room. “Welcome visitors, we want you to remember that you are in the house of your Father.” That nearly brought tears to my eyes. It was such a joy to see people who live all the way across the world as me worship the same God, be touched by the same Lord, to be saved by the same Jesus. Even though the whole service was in Swahili, I definitely felt the presence of God in that room.After church two Maasai men came to our camp and taught us how to make shoes out of tires. It was really amazing. I really appreciate our opportunity to interact with the Maasai and learn about how they relate to the earth. It has really opened my eyes to the value of different perspectives. Their culture is so very different, especially in regards to gender roles, and it has shown me that different doesn’t mean better or worse. I will always be so thankful to Daniel, Nickson, Moses, Charles, and the Iscari for showing me their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment