Thursday, July 22, 2010

Walking with Giraffes


10 June 2010

This morning I took a walk with 17 giraffes. I got up at 530 am to wash my face and get ready to go on a nature hike. The rain was coming down-but the rain here is almost like a snow. I thought it was snow at first, but it wasn’t cold enough out. We gathered in the chumba and made our way to the front gate with Daniel faithfully leading us. Just before we reached the gate someone spotted a giraffe on the hill. It was barely light out and misty but still, I saw her. And she was beautiful. Then we saw another. We left the gate and saw two more. Then a younger one bringing up the rear. I couldn’t believe it, five giraffes. I haven’t even seen one very well so far and here’s five! Unfortunately I wasn’t getting any good pictures because of the lack of light. We continue to walk along our path, with the giraffes walking theirs parallel to us. As we go on more and more giraffes pop up and join this herd. At this point I’m starting to freak out with joy. We get to a bend in the trail several hundreds of meters away and we get really close. We’ve been walking alongside these giraffes for some time, and now we’re barely 50 meters away from SEVENTEEN giraffes. I am not joking, tears well up. I cannot believe my fortune. I missed the nature walk the morning before when they got close to zebras, but this was worth it to be here for this one. God is so good. I’d been asking Him to show me in some way that He is here with me. I’ve been feeling a lack of connection with my classmates, but this was His love in a BIG way. It made my day. Giraffes. In the wild. 50 meters away. Seventeen of them. Amazing. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment