08 June 2010
I WOULD short out the power and kill the lights in the Chumba…
Okay the stupid field guide told me to bring a surge suppressor for using my laptop so I did. So I plugged the surge suppressor into my 3 to 2 prong converter which was plugged into my plug adaptor into then I plugged that contraption into the power strip and out came the loudest noise I’ve ever heard in my life, a stream of sparks and out go the lights. Dang it! This is my life.
Okay the stupid field guide told me to bring a surge suppressor for using my laptop so I did. So I plugged the surge suppressor into my 3 to 2 prong converter which was plugged into my plug adaptor into then I plugged that contraption into the power strip and out came the loudest noise I’ve ever heard in my life, a stream of sparks and out go the lights. Dang it! This is my life.
But other than that incredible experience, Kenya is amazing. I’m in KENYA. I can’t even believe it. Here are the Kswahili words I know so far: Jambo (Welcome or you’re welcome), Chumba (the main room), banda (cabin), choo (toilet), duka (store), mzuri (good), asante (thank you), and tafadhali (please). I’m in love with the language. The people. The country. I love everything about this place. I don’t love the bugs, but I tolerate them because they’re Kenyan.
Yesterday was amazing. Today was amazing. We got here and had some orientation and free time. Unpacked our rooms. It was all a blur. We have vervets that just wander around the camp and try to steal our food. Right now they’re cute, but I can see where after awhile the bit gets old.
Yesterday was amazing. Today was amazing. We got here and had some orientation and free time. Unpacked our rooms. It was all a blur. We have vervets that just wander around the camp and try to steal our food. Right now they’re cute, but I can see where after awhile the bit gets old.
The only thing that disappoints me is that I haven’t seen much wildlife from the camp. But it’s only day two.
Today I woke up early-ish and laid in bed listening to the birds. It was beautiful and I couldn’t believe that this was my life. Then I went for a run around the perimeter of the fence. Now we’ve been warned not to wander into the tall grass because we have incredibly dangerous snakes here (black mambas, spitting cobras, etc.) and we were told that the trail went along the electric fence. So of course I listen to the latter and ignore the former. So in order to follow the fence I start running in thick, tall grass. Doesn’t take me long to realize that maybe this isn’t the trail and maybe it isn’t a good idea to proceed. I turned around and continued my run in the opposite direction. Got my foot caught in a hole and fell down, but the run was beautiful. Hard but amazing. So happy. I seriously can’t believe this is my life.
I am absolutely, 100% in love with everything about this place. Every second I’m here I that much more convinced that Africa is going to play a prominent role in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment